Friday, September 17, 2010

Green Thai Curried Chicken

This recipe comes to me from an old friend and fabulous photographer Luis Nadeau. He made it and then my pal Jackie started making it, then I got in on it. This is what I would call an enspousing meal. If yer lookin to get someone to fall hard and fast for ya, just whip up a pot of this fantastic curry.. It's even good sans Chicken for all you lovely vegetarian types, just substitute some tofu and you're set.

1 can coconut cream (you can use coconut milk, I just prefer the cream)
2 teaspoons green curry paste (Mae Ploy brand works nicely but I have also used THAI Kitchen Green Curry Paste)
1 Tablespoon dried lemongrass pieces (less if you use powder, more if you use fresh)
1 chunk galangal, grated. (about a teaspoon or so of powdered galangal)
1 medium sized eggplant, julienned in 1/4 inch strips about 3-4 inches long.
3-4 chicken breasts very thinly sliced
carrots, matchstick cut
Broccoli
In a large saucepan, heat the coconut cream, and curry paste. Add galangal, and lemongrass simmer while you cut the veggies. Add the eggplant and simmer as it takes quite some time to cook through. next add the chicken and cook thoroughly. Carrots and Broccoli can be added next and cooked until tender. Serve with Thai Jasmine rice. Its good with a nice australian Chardonnay, or  beer if you like.

My kids absolutely love curries, so we have many recipes, they morph over time, and we often have kitchen sink curries, meaning whatever is on hand gets tossed in..

5 comments:

Liz said...

I should point out that I seldom only use two teaspoons of the curry paste, its more like 4 here, i shared the mild version with y'all

Gary's third pottery blog said...

OH WOW. I think green curry is probably my most favorite thai dish on earth...or maybe just most favorite dish. And you make it at home?????

Liz said...

Mason was making it as I was typing it. Its super easy. We are curry addicts.

Unknown said...

I have never tried Curry although everyone I have ever talked to adores it...I will try your recipe it really sounds wonderful...YUM! :)

Christi said...

I ♥ Thai food. yeah, if a guy cooked this for me I might marry him.