Friday, October 1, 2010

India Has a Fan Page! and I have a Minor "Band Parent" Moment

Note this is kind of long and somewhat ranty

So with all of my technical computer skills, and facebook savvy... I set up a facebook fan page for miss India's art. In doing so, I either spammed everyone I know, more than once, or I didn't manage to invite anyone at all.  I guess if I get angry WTF messages in my inbox or all over my wall it will be the first option. But if I didn't manage to hit everyone, she may get no fans. Except me, but I don't count really, being her mom and all.
Soooo,  last night's Band Parent meeting made me itchy, I don't fit in very well at these things. I don't really have the right hairdo, wardrobe or attitude to fit in. Plus I come from away, and can pronounce the letter "h" properly.  But this meeting was about the senior band trip, so I had to go, and sit through the lame assed crap , so I could get the details on India's travel plans for the Spring. 
I don't know why I always feel so out of place at these things. Other parents freak me out just a little bit. I always get the feeling that they think I am a nutjob. Plus, I don't play well with others, I hate the kind of politics around these committees and such. I am a great volunteer, hand me a list of things that need done, and I'll do them, but ask me to sit in on a meeting where they pussyfoot around an issue and shit. NO THANK YOU!  Its crazy making.  I could have cut about fourty five minutes of useless blabber out of that meeting.  Do any of you other parents have that feeling? I kind of feel bad as a parent if I don't at least go to these meetings, but ew I hate them.
Scoop is, they are going to Boston, which I think is pretty awesome. The itinerary looks great and thankfully, because she is a minor, on an educational trip, she doesn't need a passport. Thus eliminating all need to converse with my ex husband, If we could even find him, ALWAYS a bonus.
They outlined all the fundraisers that they are going to do oh yay we get to sell raffle tickets, THREE TIMES this year and yada yada, then handed out the costs we have to cover. YIKES!!!! Lets just say, I am very happy to only have one kid in band. and damned good thing she's cute, and lovable!
She has decided that she will make some things to sell and help raise money to pay for her trip, and some spending money. PHEW! she started making pendants tonight, and will be making some Christmas ornaments as well.... here's hoping she sells some! We will post them on her fan page and on my etsy, anyone have any other suggestionsfor promoting them?

7 comments:

Reverend Awesome said...

I'm not a parent but I totally know what you mean about sitting through people pussy footing around shit. I can't stand it! Say the problem and let's solve it. Let's stop talking about solving it, let's actually solve it and shut the f*ck up about it.
I'll post a link to India's stuff on my blog once you get it up! I know that's not much. I'll tweet it. Link it. Do whatever I can do.

Liz said...

Thanks Kasey! and yeah the pussy footing is universal to committees I think...

Unknown said...

Oh God, that brings back nightmares of when our daughter, and granddaughter was in school..I am so glad I don't have to deal with those wack jobs and those stupid, catty meetings. You know they looked down at tme, but who cares. I was just glad I was not like them...I am so delighted to have to not deal with those broads anymore...They were droll, boring, petty, and all had bloated egos...! YAWN, YAWN, YAWN, that's how I felt.

Unknown said...

OMG... make them stop. I don't have any kids, and I haven't been to any meetings about band trips, but I HAVE been to plenty of 'office meetings' that I would imagine go about the same way.... I think the problem is that the people running the meeting and the people that wish they were running the meeting have to have a sufficient power struggle before everyone feels like they got their egos boosted. I'm sorry you have to deal with it, but it's for a good cause, so take a shot of whiskey before you walk in the door and pretend to enjoy yourself. ;)

Liz said...

whiskey,eh? now why didn't I think of that???

Gary's third pottery blog said...

see, that is exactly why we didn't have kids: the school meetings!!!!!!
Frankly, India's art and her plans are awesome :)_

Liz said...

Thanks for letting me rant everyone. Yeah I think she will be ok with her fundraising, and we will stay off the band mommy radar as much as we can. Even my little car was overwhelmed at that meeting... poor little matrix crowded in by hummers and escalades...