Thursday, September 16, 2010

PIE, I missed pie....so I made this

So I have a collection of dietary restrictions which make recipes interesting and challenging. I avoid gluten, dairy, and sugar (yes, including honey, and maple syrup which I never liked anyway) and coffee. If I stick to this diet I feel and look a million times better.

But sometimes I miss desserts, ya know? Especially on Thanksgiving, when everyone is tucking into the pies and ice cream, all of which are anathema to me. So last year, I adapted a sweet potato pie recipe so I didn't just have to watch everyone else eat dessert while I virtuously nibbled a fresh apple. Here it is, and it is delicious even if you are lucky enough to eat gluten, dairy and sugar with impunity.

Sweet Potato Pie

Crust:
1 cup quick oats
1/4 cup GF flour
1/2 cup ground pecans or walnuts, plus 1/4 cup in reserve for the top
2 Tbsp agave syrup
1/4 tsp salt
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp water

Mix together and press into a 9" pie plate, bake at 450 for ten minutes to set the crust.

Filling:
1/4 cup agave syrup
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
4 tsp vanilla
2+ cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
2/3 cup coconut milk

Mix together and fill crust, sprinkle with remaining pecans or walnuts. Bake for 45 minutes at 350, or until a knife comes out clean. Allow to cool for 30 minutes to set before serving.

And if you serve it with that divine Purely Decadent coconut milk vanilla "ice cream" (sweetened with agave) then you have a complete and delicious dessert.

4 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

OH WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Christi!

Unknown said...

OMG I love Sweet Potato Pie...yummy Christi....yours sound fab darling! OMG this is the best! Pumpkin, yuck for me, but Sweet Potato, love it...great recipe...better than mine...yeah! :)

Gallow said...

I gotta try this one.

Reverend Awesome said...

I could never give up sugar. My life would just be in shambles!

This does sound really good though.