Monday, May 23, 2011

I'll never leave your pizza burnin' ...

Summer songs challenge- GO!

Okay, I may have to do a little research but I still have this mix tape from the summer before my senior year of high school (eek 1990) and the songs I was obsessed with then were:

Beast of Burden- Rolling Stones (although it took me a while to get the words right- instead of "I'll never be your beast of burden" I thought Mick was singing, "I'll never leave your pizza burnin." Made more sense to me.)

Go Your Own Way- Fleetwood Mac Yeah, I don't know where that came from. Heard it on the radio one day out of the blue and it stuck.

The Power- Snap I was running track then and our coach was the coolest younger teacher in school (and friends with my parents) and she came to our neighborhood block party that summer. She had herself some beers and was running around singing, "I got the power!" at the top of her voice and she liked it so much, she used to play it for us before meets.

Some other Summer songs that come to mind:

* Joey- Concrete Blonde
* Close to You- Maxi Priest (not my usual thing, but I dug the video)
*Hey Nineteen- Steely Dan (another misinterpreted lyric. I was just naive enough to think that the "fine columbian" they were singing about along with the Cuervo Gold was coffee, not cocaine.)
*You Are the Everything- REM

4 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

go yoir own way = total ear worm for my Tuesday :)

Reverend Awesome said...

HAHA! I will now only say, "Ill never leave your pizza burning" That is a far better lyrical choice!

Gallow said...

When my oldest son was very young, he like the song "Love Shack" by the B52's. He would sing very loudly, "So c'mon and bring your juice box money."

k.a. barnes said...

I LOVE misheard lyrics.